Emmy Fug Carpet: Helen Mirren

Helen Mirren: great actress, crazy dresser.


[Courtesy of Zap2It.com.]

I love the sari itself. It's lovely. Except for the part where it's totally a weird choice for Aging British Actress Helen Mirren [unless, of course, she is celebrating India's freedom from Great Britain's tyranny, circa 1947. In which case... okay, but at the Emmys?]

I think Mirren looks -- facially -- fantastic. If she's had work done, it's brilliant work. She's aging beautifully. Good hair, even. But... I just don't get the sari. It's a beautiful piece and she doesn't look bad in it, exactly, although she does look maybe a little shapeless. I just don't GET IT. I guess it's not "fugly" so much as it is "confounding." What is the theory behind this outfit? Is it "funky multiculti that also hides my unsightly bulges?" Is it "the cleaner shrunk my Dolce and Gabbana and this is the only thing in my closet that's vaguely sparkly?" Is it, "oh, what the hell! I'm bloody Helen Mirren and I can wear whatever I like?"

0 comments: